Relief Physician, Pediatrics (OVMC)
Relief Physician (OVMC)
Department of Pediatrics – NICU
Olive View-UCLA Medical Center, a public teaching hospital located in Sylmar, CA, is a community-based safety-net hospital and part of the LA County Department of Health Services (DHS). We serve much of the San Fernando and Antelope Valley communities and beyond, providing an array of primary and specialty care services in both an outpatient and inpatient settings. We are affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine (DGSOM) at UCLA. We are committed to high-quality care and are a national leader in clinical research.
We are looking for a pediatrician to join the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) as a pediatric hospitalist. This is a non-benefitted position with flexible hours—up to 40 hours per week. The position provides the opportunity to join the UCLA faculty and engage in teaching and training of medical students and residents. The role will involve caring for neonates in the 12-bed OVMC Level III NICU.
Shifts will include nights and weekend coverage.
Essential duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Attending deliveries and performing initial resuscitation of low- and high-risk newborns
- Providing post-operative care to newborns
- Rounding daily on infants in the newborn nursery and in the NICU
- Completing orders and providing education in collaboration with the attending neonatologist
- Completing comprehensive history and physical examinations for newborns
- Ordering diagnostic testing (including labs, imaging, and EKGs), blood products, fluid and electrolytes therapy, and other therapeutic modalities in compliance with hospital standardized procedures and protocols
- Reviewing diagnostic studies, formulating treatment plans, and taking appropriate clinical action
- Educating patients and family on the plan of care and anticipated health outcomes during daily rounds or routine in-person and/or virtual meetings
- Providing consultation to expecting mothers in anticipation of potential post-natal infant health needs
- Completing timely history and physical documentations, daily progress notes, and discharge summaries in the medical records
- Coordinating discharge planning of newborns and discharge education
- Arranging referrals to pediatric subspecialty providers or other multi-disciplinary professionals, as appropriate
- Performing NICU procedures, including insertion of umbilical venous and umbilical artery catheters, intubation, lumbar puncture, peripheral IV insertion, exchange transfusion
- Participating in quality improvement and system improvement work to maximize the efficiency, value, impact, and positive patient experience of the care we deliver
- Completion of a residency approved by an American Specialty Board in one or more designated specialties* or equivalent training.** Preferred residency trained in pediatrics or internal medicine/pediatrics.
- Eligible for or possess a California state medical license in good standing as well as a DEA
- Excellent communication, teamwork, and collaboration skills
Location Information: Olive View-UCLA Medical Center is located at 14445 Olive View Drive, Sylmar, CA 91342. The city of Sylmar is a part of the San Fernando Valley. The population, as of 2009, is approximately 90,000 residents. The city’s neighboring cities are San Fernando and Santa Clarita. The Olive View hospital has been part of the neighborhood since 1920, when it initially served as a tuberculosis (TB) sanatorium.
Only the most qualified candidates with the skills, abilities, and experience will be contacted for an interview. Interested candidates should:
- Submit a cover letter & resume below, and
- Email a copy of the cover letter, resume, with their last two performance evaluations to:
Richard Findlay, MD, Director of Neonatal ICU
Olive View‐UCLA Medical Center Pediatrics
14445 Olive View Drive, Cottage S, Sylmar, CA 91342
Documents will be accepted until the needs of the department have been met.
**This is not for application to the civil service examination. After submission, further application instruction will be sent to follow up with you regarding the application process of the County of Los Angeles, Department of Health Services (DHS) for Relief Physician**
|Job Category||Neonatology, Pediatrics|