Interested in being a part of a mission driven organization that takes pride in serving vulnerable communities and prioritizes equity, diversity, and inclusion? Martin Luther King, Jr. Outpatient Center (MLK OPC) has openings for a gastroenterologist. MLK OPC is in the heart of SPA 6 in South Los Angeles and is part of DHS’s Ambulatory Care Network (ACN). Our patients are mostly African-American and Latino/a/x, many with Spanish as a preferred language. Ideal candidates embody the philosophy and values of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and are committed to serving the community in which we are located.
As the largest facility within the ACN, MLK OPC is a high-volume, multispecialty outpatient center, serving more than 200,000 patients a year, and providing extended hours, including evenings and weekends.
MLK OPC delivers a high volume of broad scope specialty services to our community, including gastroenterology care. Colorectal cancer screening with diagnostic procedural services form the core of GI practice at MLK OPC. Colonoscopy / EGD are delivered in the outpatient setting with procedural sedation for lowest risk patients and in the ambulatory surgery center (MLK ASC) for moderate risk patients. There is a high burden of colorectal disease in our community. The gastroenterologist will also manage conditions like cirrhosis, IBD, hepatitis, GERD.
- Our state-of-the-art facilities include the MLK Jr Ambulatory Surgery Center with 5 operating rooms, full radiology services, ambulatory procedure suite, and multi-specialty resources.
- Our primary care clinics are National Center for Quality Assurance (NCQA) certified.
- Loan repayment opportunities are available.
- In the heart of LA, we are centrally located and easily accessible.
MLK OPC OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDE:
- Robust CME programming.
- Faculty and teaching opportunities with Charles R. Drew University at MLK OPC.
MLK OPC patients have in-network access to all DHS medical centers for additional specialty, surgical, inpatient, and emergency care services. In addition to clinical care, MLK OPC maintains a focus on continuous quality improvement, social determinants of health, community partnerships, and health equity.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- A staff gastroenterologist ensures that the gastroenterology department provides optimal services; meets all legal, accreditation, and certification requirements; and complies with all applicable policies, procedures, codes and standards of MLK Outpatient Center. Additionally, this physician will need to comply with all applicable policies, procedures, codes and standards of the MLK Ambulatory Surgery Center.
- Design, maintain, and coordinate with other patient care and administrative services programs for high quality, patient-centered gastroenterology care.
- Ensure safe, appropriate, cost-effective gastroenterology therapies for patients according to established policies, procedures and protocols. Adheres to DHS expectations cost-effective, appropriate, safe gastroenterology care, and maintains a medical staff-approved scope of service. Supervises gastroenterology treatment and establishes specifications for safe, high quality gastroenterology care.
- Participate in the DHS-wide eConsult enterprise, contributing to the gastroenterology work group and may serve as a specialty reviewer for GI referrals to MLK.
- Following are some medical conditions that are diagnosed and treated by gastroenterologists:
- Management and assessment of patients with positive fecal occult blood
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Constipation
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Colonic polyposis
- Evaluation and diagnosis of colon and other intestinal malignancies
- Evaluation and management of chronic abdominal pain
- Completion of a residency approved by an American Specialty Board in one or more designated specialties* or equivalent**, fellowship in gastroenterology.
- California State Physician and Surgeon’s Certificate authorized by the Board of Medical Examiners of the State of California.
The gastroenterologist reports to the lead for specialty services at MLK OPC.
MLK OPC is located at 1670 E. 120th street LA, CA 90059. The center is located in the unincorporated city of Willowbrook. It is also home to the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. The population of the area is estimated at 35,983 residents. It has a major Metro Rail Station, which serves many bus routes by LA Metro. The area has many parks, including Enterprise County Park and Athens Park.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume below. For more information, please contact Dr. Ellen Rothman, email@example.com
**This is not for application to the civil service examination. After submission, further application instruction will be sent to
follow up with you regarding the application process of the County of Los Angeles, Department of Health Services (DHS)
for a Physician Specialist **