Physician Specialist – Palliative Care (OVMC)
Physician Specialist – Palliative Care Services
Department of Medicine
Olive View-UCLA Medical Center, a 337-bed public teaching hospital in Sylmar, CA, is seeking a Palliative Care Specialist to join our team. We are a community-based safety-net hospital that is part of an integrated Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS). We also have our own Internal Medicine training program and serve as a key clinical training site for medical students at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA (DGSOM).
We are looking for a dedicated and compassionate Palliative Care Specialist who will further the department’s clinical, educational, and academic missions. As a physician working in an underserved community, the Palliative Care Specialist will have the opportunity to address healthcare disparities, ensure access to quality medical care, and train future physicians passionate about medicine in the service of others.
Essential duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide inpatient consultative services and collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams, including the primary medical team, nursing, social work, and others.
- Facilitate patient care in an ambulatory Palliative Care clinic.
- Provide supervision and ongoing education to trainees on fundamentals of Palliative Care, including advance care planning, endo of life care, symptom management and establishment of goals of care.
- Contribute to the educational activities of the internal medicine program and medical school.
- Contribute to quality improvement projects aimed at enhancing patient care, safety, and outcomes within the Department of Medicine.
- Work to ensure health equity and access to care for our patient population.
- Participate in scholarly activity.
- Supervise a Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner.
- Graduate of an accredited School of Medicine or Osteopathy.
- At least three (3) years of clinical experience beyond state licensure, and experience in Palliative Care medicine.
- Board certified or board eligible in Hospice/Palliative Medicine or equivalent experience.
- Eligible for or already hold a California state medical license in good standing as well as a DEA certificate.
- Excellent communication, teamwork, and collaboration skills.
- Commitment to providing care to underserved communities.
Olive View-UCLA Medical Center is located at 14445 Olive View Drive, Sylmar, CA 91342. The city of Sylmar is a part of the San Fernando Valley. The population, as of 2009, is approximately 90,000 residents. The city’s neighboring cities are San Fernando and Santa Clarita. The Olive View hospital has been part of the neighborhood since 1920, when it initially served as a tuberculosis (TB) sanatorium.
To apply for this position:
A confidential review of all applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made.
1) Submit your CV and a letter of interest below and
2) Send a copy to
Soma Wali, MD, MACP, FRCP
Chair of Medicine, Olive View-UCLA Medical Center
Vice-Chair for UCLA Affiliated Hospitals
Professor of Clinical Medicine, DGSOM at UCLA
3) Candidates must also formally apply at: LOS ANGELES COUNTY – DHS Provider Application Form (lacounty.gov) Documents will be accepted until the needs of the department have been met.
**This is not for application to the civil service examination. After submission, further application instruction will be sent to follow up with you regarding the application process of the County of Los Angeles, Department of Health Services (DHS)**
|Job Category||Geriatrics, Palliative & Continuing Care|