Patient Safety Officer Physician Specialist
We’re remaking the nation’s largest county-run correctional health system with a focus on social justice medicine, compassionate whole-person care, community partnership and professional growth. Every day, we put our vision and our values into practice as we strive to improve healthcare for uniquely underserved population. Incumbents in these positions are licensed physicians that have immediate charge of a small medical section within a larger medical unit of a medical facility or a small program of a medical facility.
Department of Health Services (DHS) Correctional Health Services (CHS) unit works with the Sheriff’s Department to oversee the provisions of coordinated medical, behavioral health and substance abuse services to inmates in the county jail system.
A designated individual who addresses patient safety issues and creates system-level changes to prevent future adverse events and ensure that medical care is delivered in the safest manner possible.
- Collaborating with staff (clinic leads, nursing, and access to care bureau) to create sustainable programs that utilize patient safety protocols, that can be shared but also tailored to the individual CHS sites.
Patient safety issues will be site-dependent and can vary broadly. They can often overlap with issues that other departments are working on, such as infection control and medication errors.
Essential Job Functions
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with Risk Assessment and Quality Improvement on reviewing near misses and adverse events, claims and deaths.
- Work closely in multidisciplinary teams on various committees to discuss patient-related events and formulate corrective action plans.
- Develop root cause analyses for selected patient-related adverse events and develop corrective action plans.
- Promote Just Culture among all CHS staff and encourage event reporting whenever necessary.
- Collaborate with staff (Medical, Nursing, and Custody) to create sustainable programs that utilize patient safety protocols for CHS clinic sites (ie safety huddles).
- Participate in weekly DHS patient safety officer meetings and keep updated on DHS-wide implemented programs.
SPECIAL SALARY INFORMATION:
Additional Compensation Bonus:
5.5% for assignment in a Sheriff’s County Jail mental health facility
5.5% for AMA Board Certification
Completion* of a residency approved by the American Specialty Board designated in one or more designated specialties
California State Physician and Surgeon’s Certificate authorized by the Board of Medical Examiners of the State of California.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
The required license and/or certificate MUST be current and unrestricted; conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted licenses and/or certificates will NOT be accepted.
|Job Category||Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine|