Palliative Care Service Medical Director (OVMC)
Palliative Care Medical Director
Title: Palliative Care Service Medical Director
Reports to: Chair, Dept. of Medicine (Dr. Soma Wali)
Status: Full Time M-F 8:00A-4:30P
Purpose of the Position:
Responsible for the Olive View-UCLA Palliative Care service, which includes inpatient consultations and outpatient visits.
Olive View-UCLA Medical Center (OVMC) is located in the city of Sylmar, which is a part of the San Fernando Valley. The population, as of 2009, is approximately 90,000 residents. The city’s neighboring cities are San Fernando and Santa Clarita. The Olive View hospital has been part of the neighborhood since 1920, when it initially served as a tuberculosis (TB) sanatorium.
- Provide inpatient and outpatient consultation services in palliative care, including symptom management and clarification of patient and family goals of care.
- Consult with the primary provider and the Interdisciplinary team to establish and document a written focus of care specified in the treatment plan.
- Facilitate access to appropriate supportive care services and venues.
- Provide ongoing education to hospital staff, allied professionals and trainees on fundamentals of symptom management and to support goals of care conversations for care transition.
- Weekly participation in interdisciplinary team rounds to review active issues of hospitalized and clinic patients under palliative care management.
- Supervises palliative care delivery at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center.
- Oversees function of all members of the Palliative Care service, and interfaces with members of the interdisciplinary team in the provision of palliative services throughout the institution.
- Supervises trainees who rotate through the Palliative Care service.
- Physician (MD or DO) with at least three (3) years of clinical experience beyond state licensure, and experience in Palliative Care medicine.
- Board certified or eligible in Hospice/Palliative Medicine or equivalent experience.
- At least one year of experience working as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Current state license and in good standing with medical board.
Interested candidates must start by submitting a cover letter and resume below.
Note: After submitted, further application instruction will be sent to you to initiate the application process of the Department of Health Services (DHS), County of Los Angeles for DHS Physician Specialist
Updated June 2023
|Job Category||Geriatrics, Palliative & Continuing Care|