Urgent Care Physician Specialist (CHS)
We’re remaking the nation’s largest county-run correctional health system with a focus on social justice medicine, compassionate whole-person care, community partnership and professional growth. Every day, we put our vision and our values into practice as we strive to improve healthcare for uniquely underserved population. The Twin Towers Correctional Facility is located in Downtown, Los Angeles. It consists of two towers, a medical services building, and the LA County Medical Center Jail Ward. The facility opened in 1997.
We assist patients in navigating the health care system to best meet their health needs, address routine health maintenance issues, and help connect patients with social services to address social determinants of health.
Capabilities of our urgent care clinics including the ability to order laboratory work up; x-ray, CT, and ultrasound imaging; ECG; cardiac monitored beds; and the ability to perform most bedside procedures that do not require procedural sedation.
QUALIFICATIONS:Must be a licensed medical doctor. Prefer physicians residency trained in family medicine or internal medicine.
- Evaluate undifferentiated patients presenting for unscheduled and on-demand care in the Correctional Health urgent care clinic.
- Work up urgent/emergent medical conditions including chest pain, abdominal pain, headaches, respiratory illnesses, orthopedic injuries, and other presentations.
- Perform basic procedures including: laceration repair, suture and staple removal, trephination of subungual hematoma, hernia reduction, abscess incision and drainage, closed fracture reduction and splinting, closed joint dislocation reduction, removal of foreign bodies embedded superficially in skin, Bartholin’s gland cyst incision and drainage, felon/paronychia drainage, joint aspirations and injections, epistaxis control measures, ring removal, bladder catheterization, superficial hemorrhage control (e.g. bleeding varicose vein), needling and trigger point injections, application of sealant to fractured teeth, ingrown toe nail removal, and other procedures providers may feel comfortable performing.
- Assess patients for psychiatric emergencies, including identifying when a patient may be a possible danger to themselves, others, or gravely disabled requiring psychiatric evaluation to place the patient on an involuntary hold.
- Full-time physicians are also encouraged to help participate in quality improvement and system improvement work to maximize the efficiency, value, impact, and positive patient experience of the care we deliver.
SPECIAL SALARY INFORMATION:
Additional Compensation Bonus:
5.5% for assignment in a Sheriff’s County Jail mental health facility
5.5% for AMA Board Certification
Completion* of a residency approved by the American Specialty Board designated in one or more designated specialties
California State Physician and Surgeon’s Certificate authorized by the Board of Medical Examiners of the State of California.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
The required license and/or certificate MUST be current and unrestricted; conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted licenses and/or certificates will NOT be accepted.
|Job Category||Family Medicine, Internal Medicine|