Pediatrician – Primary Care Relief Physician
Pediatrician, Primary Care Relief Physician
Olive View UCLA Medical Center
Olive View-UCLA Medical Center (OVMC) is located in the Sylmar neighborhood of Los Angeles, California and serves much of the San Fernando and Antelope Valley community. It provides an array of primary and specialty care services in both an outpatient and inpatient capacity. The center has 377 inpatient beds, a 30-bed isolation unit, an 18 bed ICU, and an Inpatient Psychiatry Unit. OVMC has an affiliation with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. OVMC is committed to high quality care and is a national leader in clinical research.
Olive View-UCLA is recruiting a pediatrician to join the academic primary care team. It provides the opportunity to join the UCLA faculty and engage in teaching and training of medical students and residents from UCLA programs.
The role will include primary care for children of all ages, including foster youth, and it will also include the opportunity to care for newborns in the peri-partum period and at hospital discharge visits in the first weeks of life.
General Pediatric Duties
- Provides comprehensive acute, chronic and preventive care to patients under 21 years of age and involves parents & caregivers in this care.
- Performs CHDP exams, addressing immunizations and growth & development.
- Provides appropriate education to patients and their family members to carry out the treatment plan effectively.
- Follows up with patients as clinically needed and indicated.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs medical work in a specialized medical field, including specialized surgical procedures within a specialty field.
- Prescribes drugs and/or therapy; monitors patients’ progress, records observations and changes, and adjusts treatments as required.
- Conducts training or assists in the training of interns and resident physicians.
- Consults with staff physicians and para-medical personnel regarding care of patients and medical and diagnostic work performed.
- Provides consultation to other medical services, including specialists in other fields.
- Conducts the more difficult post mortem examinations and may provide training and lead man supervision over other physicians engaged in these activities.
- Confers with medical and professional personnel in such related fields as toxicology in order to discover the main and contributing causes of death.
- Certifies as to the cause of death and testifies in court as an expert witness.
- Performs or assists in carrying out administrative responsibilities which may include such duties as budget preparation for the section, determining equipment and supply needs, carrying out personnel functions, or developing revising work procedures to expedite work load or improve level of service.
- Assists in the planning and direction of health programs within the appropriate specialty.
- Develops new techniques within the medical specialty.
- Maintains varied hours on a rotated schedule with other physicians to ensure that there is always a physician on-call during non-business hours.
- May conduct specialized research, special studies, and services, including preventive and educational strategies.
Completion of a residency approved by an American Specialty Board in one or more designated specialties* or equivalent training**.
California State Physician and Surgeon’s Certificate authorized by the Board of Medical Examiners of the State of California.
OVMC is located in the city of Sylmar, which is a part of the San Fernando Valley. The population, as of 2009, is approximately 90,000 residents. The city’s neighboring cities are San Fernando and Santa Clarita. The Olive View hospital has been part of the neighborhood since 1920, when it initially served as a tuberculosis (TB) sanatorium.