Housing for Health Mobile Clinic Physician Specialist (Family Practice)
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services Housing for Health division provides housing and services to people with complex medical and behavioral health conditions. Our mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of the most vulnerable Los Angeles County residents experiencing homelessness and housing instability by delivering an integrated system of care connecting housing, medical and behavioral health services, and income supports.
This position will be responsible for providing primary and specialty care (Medication Assisted Treatment, Women’s Health, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Urgent Care) to homeless individuals with complex medical health, mental health and substance use disorders. The Physician Specialists will be under the direction of Housing for Health’s (HFH’s) Mobile Clinic Medical Director in the Department of Health Service (DHS).
Essential Job Functions:
- The physician specialist will provide direct care to patient experiencing homelessness in the unsheltered settings. Direct patient care will be provided in a mobile clinic, encampments and on the streets.
- The physician specialists will work with the nurse care manager and the community health worker in providing a transition of care plan for referred homeless individuals from the emergency rooms, and those admitted in the inpatient setting.
- The physician specialists will collaborate with other providers/clinical staff in the ER and inpatient setting to provide a coordinated plan for those patients that will be discharged to the streets.
- The physician specialists will follow a panel of patients who are high risk with complex medical, substance use disorder and behavioral health issues.
- The physician specialists is expected to provide medication assisted treatment for those with opioid use disorder in collaboration with the substance abuse counselor.
- Expected practices include performing diagnostic and treatment procedures including but not limited to pap smears on the mobile clinic, incision and drainage of abscesses, paracentesis, and point of care ultrasounds.
- The physician specialists will collaborate with the mobile clinic behavioral health team including the mobile clinic psychiatrist, senior clinical social worker and community health worker to provide a coordinate behavioral health treatment plan for patients in need of such services.
- The physician specialists will collaborate and refer patients to the clinical pharmacists as needed for complex medication profiles as well as for medication adjustments per protocol.
- The physician will provide real time and schedule consultations to clinical staff from the multidisciplinary teams.
- The physician specialists will participate in team meetings, case conferences, and other meetings designed to improve coordinator in care.
- Specialty in Family Medicine
- Homeless health care experience
- X Waiver license
- Experience/expertise in assessing and managing clients with dysfunctional SUD, including knowledge of MAT and Addiction Psychiatry
- Experience/expertise in assessing and managing clients with severe persistent mental illness
- Experience/expertise in trauma-informed care and harm reduction principles
- Demonstrated teaching and communication skills with clinical and non-clinical staff
- Experience providing clinical and administrative supervision to nurses
- Familiarity with DMH, DPH and community mental health and substance use programs and resources
|Job Category||Family Medicine|