Gastroenterology Physician Specialist
This physician specialist will provide comprehensive outpatient gastroenterology clinical services to ambulatory patients at HCHCHC and MLK. Clinical responsibilities include referral triage, patient assessment, and management of chronic gastroenterological conditions. This physician specialist will also manage low-complexity hepatology conditions. In addition, this physician specialist will take on duties to perform endoscopies and colonoscopies in the outpatient procedure suites and Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) both under sedation and with general anesthesia as appropriate. This physician will perform outpatient endoscopies and colonoscopies in the procedure suite in HCHCHC and MLK outpatient centers. This physician will maintain clinical privileges in both the HCHCHC and MLK outpatient centers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (other duties may be assigned as necessary):
- Ensure that the gastroenterology department provides optimal services; meet all legal, accreditation, and certification requirements; and comply with all applicable policies, procedures, codes and standards at HCHCHC and MLK. Additionally, this physician will comply with all applicable policies, procedures, codes and standards of the HCHCHC/MLK outpatient procedure suites and ASCs.
- Design, maintain, and coordinate with other patient care and administrative services for high quality, patient-centered gastroenterology care.
- Ensure safe, appropriate, cost-effective gastroenterology treatment for patients according to established policies, procedures and protocols. Adhere to DHS/ACN expectations to provide cost-effective, appropriate, safe gastroenterology care, and maintain a medical staff-approved scope of service.
- Participate in the DHS-wide eConsult enterprise, contribute to the gastroenterology work group as designated and serve as a specialty reviewer for HCHCHC and MLK.
- Maintain privileges in moderate sedation in the HCHCHC and MLK outpatient procedure suites and ASCs.
- Adhere to all approved Los Angeles County policies and procedures.
- Greet the public and answer the telephone in an effective, courteous manner. Employ professional manners and tact in all interactions.
- Promote self-development in learning new programs and applications and serve as a resource to other employees as directed.
- Actively participate in various quality and process improvement initiatives as directed by administration.
- Actively participate in all departmental meetings, facility wide meetings, and DHS/ACN meetings and/or committees as directed by administration.
This is a non-supervisory position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Class Definition: Class “3” Light
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Medical Degree from an accredited medical school
- Fellowship in Gastroenterology with Board Certification
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Post-graduate clinical experience in gastroenterology necessary
California State Physician and Surgeon’s Certificate authorized by the Board of Medical Examiners of the State of California.
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.