Academic Urologist (MLK)
Martin Luther King, Jr. Outpatient Center (MLK-OPC) in conjunction with Harbor-UCLA Medical Center (HUCLA), a David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA affiliate, seeks a full-time academic Urologist. The qualified candidate will spend their time both at HUCLA and MLK-OPC. HUCLA is a major training site for the UCLA Urology Residency Program. Both sites are part of the Ambulatory Care Network (ACN) of Los Angeles County Department of Health Services and are proud to serve a traditionally underinsured, underserved, diverse population of patients.
MLK OPC delivers a high volume of broad scope specialty services to our community, including urology services. There is a robust clinic with outpatient visits and procedures, including prostate biopsy, vasectomy, and cystoscopy. The MLK Ambulatory Surgery Center boasts 5 beautiful operating suites with full-service anesthesia, fluoroscopy, and radiology services.
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center is a high-volume Level 1 trauma center, and an academic teaching hospital, affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. Harbor-UCLA has its own separate Department of Surgery, with 13 divisions, including Urology. UCLA Urology residents have major rotations at Harbor-UCLA and are always present at our hospital. Recently modernized operating rooms constructed in 2015 are equipped with the full spectrum of state-of-the-art equipment, including 2 DaVinci Xi Robots and up to date endoscopic equipment. There are ample opportunities for resident education, multidisciplinary collaboration and clinical research. The hospital is also affiliated with the Lundquist Institute, a major independent research center.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Spend time at both MLK Outpatient Center and HUCLA urology department providing outpatient cognitive and procedures, ambulatory surgical procedures in the MLK Ambulatory Surgery Center, and inpatient and outpatient care at HUCLA
- Participates in the call pool at HUCLA
- Design, maintain, and coordinate with other patient care and administrative services programs for high quality, patient-centered care.
- Ensure safe, appropriate, cost-effective urologic therapies for patients according to established policies, procedures, and protocols. Adheres to DHS expectations cost-effective, appropriate, safe urology care, and maintains a medical staff-approved scope of service. Supervises urology treatment and establishes specifications for safe, high quality urology care.
- Participate in the DHS-wide eConsult enterprise, contributing to the urology work group and may serve as a specialty reviewer for urology referrals.
- M.D. and successful completion an ACGME accredited Urology residency program
- Board-certified or Board-eligible by the American Board of Urology (ABU)
- Fellowship training is preferred, but not required
- experience and excellence in general urology
- desire to work in a high-acuity, Level 1 trauma center
- commitment to resident and medical student education
- Unrestricted California medical license
- California State Physician and Surgeon’s Certificate authorized by the Board of Medical Examiners of the State of California
- MLK OPC is located at 1670 E. 120th street LA, CA 90059. The center is located in the unincorporated city of Willowbrook. It is also home to the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. The population of the area is estimated at 35,983 residents. It has a major Metro Rail Station, which serves many bus routes by LA Metro. The area has many parks, including Enterprise County Park and Athens Park.
- Harbor-UCLA Medical Center is located at 1000 W. Carson Street in the city of Torrance, a city in the Southwestern (South Bay) region of LA County. Its neighboring cities are Lomita, Redondo Beach, Rolling Hills, and Palos Verdes. The city has over 30 city parks and includes a total of 1.5 miles of beaches on the Pacific Ocean. It has an estimated population of over 145,000 residents.
For more information, please contact Dr. Ellen Rothman, firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested candidates must also submit a cover letter and resume below.
**This is not for application to the civil service examination. After submission, further application instruction will be sent to
follow up with you regarding the application process of the County of Los Angeles, Department of Health Services (DHS)
for a Physician Specialist **